A combo of my two favorite treats, cookies and cupcakes 🙂
Yield: 12 to 14 cupcakes
You will need:
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup gluten free flour (I like King Arthur’s Measure for Measure Gluten Free flour)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 12 Oreos, crumbed (I use a food processor)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Let’s start with the cupcakes. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry cupcake ingredients except the espresso powder. Mix until combined.
- In a cup add hot water and espresso powder. Mix together and add to the dry ingredients.
- Add in all the remaining wet cupcake ingredients. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Fill each muffin tin 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way full. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- For the frosting, combine butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat the butter and sugar together. Add vanilla extract and crushed Oreos while you mix. Mix until there are no clumps of unmixed ingredients or chunks of butter. If the frosting isn’t coming together, add a splash of milk and mix.
- Wait for the cupcakes to fully cool before frosting, then decorate and enjoy!