Who needs a fancy chocolate store when you can make truffles at home!
Yield: it depends on the size of your truffles! I usually get between 8 and 12.
You will need:
For the fudge filling:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 & 1/3 cups chocolate chips (I like dark chocolate for this recipe, but semi-sweet is great as well)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the coating:
- 1 cup melting chocolate
- Let’s start with the fudge filling. In a medium sized saucepan, heat the heavy cream, cocoa powder, and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips over medium heat. Stir the mixture and let cook for 5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- After 5 minutes, remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the remaining chocolate chips, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth. Transfer the fudge into a container and let set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the filling sets up, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- After 30 minutes, take out the fudge filling. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of fudge filling and roll into a ball. Place each ball onto the prepared baking sheet. When done, put the baking sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes to let the truffles firm up.
- After 15 minutes, heat the melting chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second intervals until smooth, or heat over stove top.
- Dip the fudge filling truffles into the melting chocolate and cover completely. Place each truffle back on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all truffles are coated in chocolate and place the baking sheet in the fridge for the coating to harden. This takes about 20 to 30 minutes. Then enjoy!