The perfect treat for your next tea party!
Yield: 12 scones
You will need:
For the scones:
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons gluten free flour (I like King Arthur measure for measure)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon (save 1/2 the zest for topping)
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- Reserved lemon zest
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Use a grater to grate the frozen butter into the bowl. Mix with your hands to form crumb like mixture and set aside to let it rest in the fridge.
- In a small bowl, mix together wet ingredients.
- Slowly combine the wet ingredients with the crumb mixture until the dough begins to form. If the dough feels wet or sticky add one tablespoon of flour at a time until it is no longer sticky.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and begin forming it into two equal round discs about an inch in thickness each .
- Cut each disc of dough in half and cut each half into three triangular pieces. You should have 6 scones sliced from each disc with 12 scones total.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and let chill in the fridge while the oven preheats. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the oven reaches temperature, bake the scones for 15 to 18 minutes.
- To make the glaze: in a small bowl add all of the lemon juice and one tablespoon of confectioners sugar at a time until desired consistency. Sprinkle the zest into the glaze. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Top with glaze and enjoy!