The perfect cookie for tea time!
Yield: about 8 cookies
You will need:
- 1 cup gluten free measure for measure flour (I like King Arthur’s)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 lemon + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease one cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar together.
- Add in the egg, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and poppyseeds. Mix until combined.
- Add in the flour and mix until a sticky ball of dough begins to form.
- Place the dough onto the greased cookie sheet and begin forming it into a rectangle. I try to make it about 9 x 5 inches with a 1/2 inch thickness. Smooth the surface of the dough and clean up the edges as you form the rectangle.
- Bake the dough in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spray or lightly brush the dough with water to make it easier to slice. Let the dough cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut the dough into about 8 even logs to form the biscotti (about an inch wide). Place the cookie sheet back in the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove the biscotti from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes, enjoy!