Is a whoopie pie technically a sandwich? A dessert sandwich?
Yield: 8 large whoopie pies
You will need:
For the whoopie pies:
- 2 & 1/4 cups gluten free measure for measure flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the fillings:
- Peanut butter buttercream: 1/4 cup room temperature butter, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Marshmallow cream or Fluffernutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar together.
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Slowly add in the flour and cocoa powder. Then gradually add in the milk. Mix to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix out any clumps of unmixed flour.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto the cookie sheet. Spread out the whoopie pie batter when placing on the cookie sheet so they have room to spread out while baking.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- For the peanut butter filling: in a large bowl mix the butter and peanut butter with a hand mixer until smooth. Add in powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix with the hand mixer until fluffy and smooth.
- When the whoopie pies are cooled, add a layer of peanut butter buttercream to 1/2 of the pies on their flat side. Add a layer of marshmallow cream or Fluffernutter to the other 1/2 of the pies on their flat side. Make a sandwich with the peanut butter and fluff whoopie pies and enjoy!