One of the best recipes to come out of all this quarantine baking!
Yield: depends on how you cut them, I like big pieces so I cut 9 large square brownies!
You will need:
For the brownies:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips
For the cream cheese swirl
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper or grease with nonstick spray.
- Let’s start with the brownies. In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and stir to combine. Next add all wet ingredients. Stir to combine, and scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated to make a smooth batter. Set aside.
- Now the cream cheese swirl. In a medium bowl, whip the cream cheese and sugar together until soft. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Time to assemble. Pour 1/2 of the brownie batter into the 9 inch square pan. Layer 1/2 of the cream cheese mixture. You can use a toothpick if you want to create a swirl design but it is not necessary for this step. Pour the remaining brownie batter on top. Layer the last of the cream cheese mixture in a zig zag or stripe pattern. Now use a knife or toothpick to make little swirls in the cream cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, check on them after 30 minutes. You can use another toothpick to check if the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 20 minutes. It is easier to cut brownies when they are fully cooled!