Are cinnamon rolls breakfast or dessert? Who cares!
Yield: 10-12 cinnamon rolls
You will need:
For the dough:
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 & 1/2 tablespoons butter
- optional: 2 more tablespoons melted butter for topping to get the rolls golden brown on top
For the filling:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the frosting topping:
- You can opt to buy cream cheese frosting or make your own! I like to make a simple glaze with 1 cup of confectioners sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- In a medium saucepan heat the milk and butter. Do not let it come to a boil, you want the temperature to reach between 105 and 115 degrees to proof the yeast without killing it.
- Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl, add in the packet of yeast and let sit for 10 minutes allowing the yeast to activate. After 10 minutes, you should see bubbles at the top of the mixture.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and begin to mix. The dough will gradually become more difficult to mix by hand. When this happens, dump the dough out onto a floured surface and begin to knead. Continue for one to two minutes, rolling and forming the dough into a ball.
- Grease a large bowl lightly with olive oil and place the ball of dough back in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a wet towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for one hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9×9 size pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- For the sugary filling: in a small bowl melt the butter and mix it with both sugars.
- Flour your surface again and roll out the dough about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Pour/spread the filling onto the dough and roll into a log.
- Cut the dough into rolls about 1 & 1/2 to 2 inches thick.
- Place each roll in the pan. Optional: top the rolls with a little extra melted butter to get a little extra color in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- While the rolls are still warm, but not fresh out of the oven hot, top with frosting and enjoy!