This not so secret ingredient is used to make baked goods even more flavorful!
Yield: about 18 cookies
You will need:
- 1 cup brown butter*
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- optional: flaky sea salt for topping
*If you want thick cookies (like the ones in the picture), you should let the brown butter chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before you make the dough. If you want flat chewy/crispy cookies, you should let the brown butter sit on the stove without heat for 10 minutes and then begin making the cookie dough.
- For the brown butter: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir the butter as it starts to foam and scrape down the sides of the saucepan. The butter will change color from a creamy yellow to an amber tinted yellow, this process should take between 5 and 8 minutes. Keep your eye on the butter while you stir, it can burn easily. You will start to see small bits of milk solids as the butter begins to brown. When you can see brown bits starting to form at the bottom of the saucepan remove the butter from the heat. Scrape the butter into a large bowl to cool.
- When you are ready to make the dough, preheat your oven to 365 degrees and grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the same large bowl the butter cooled in, add in both sugars and cream for 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs (and egg yolk) one at a time and mix. Then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Optional: you can chill the dough to prevent spreading while baking
- Scoop out about 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of dough and place cookies 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 9 to 11 minutes, but check the cookies at 9 minutes in case they are done. The edges should be golden brown and the center should be soft.
- Optional: when you remove the cookies from the oven, top them with flaky sea salt so the salt has a chance to stick to the surface of the warm cookies.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 to 10 minutes and enjoy!